Bishop’s University School of Education
EDU 305 A01 Social Justice, Antiracism and Multicultural Education
Instructor: Dr. L. Taylor
Phone: (819) 822-9600 extension 2344
Office Hours: Wednesdays 12:00 - 4:00 PM
Or by appointment
Seminars: Tuesdays, Thursdays 2:30 - 4:00 PM
Room N 310
Individual meetings: By appointment
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CLASS 1 (SEPTEMBER 3, 2008)
1. View Le Rouge et le Noir en service du Blanc for discussion Class 2.
2. Read Course syllabus thoroughly for Class 2 (2 handouts, one with class schedule & readings, one with description of / instructions for course assignments).
3. Form groups of 4-5 for 3 course assignment (could be same group for 1st 2, possibly for all 3).
**NOTE: there can only be 5 Film presentation groups**
a. The 5 films we will study in this course are:
i. Alexie, S. (1998). Smoke Signals. Miramax. http://www.fallsapart.com/smoke.html;
ii. Bamboozled directed by Spike Lee;
iii. Under One Sky directed by Joy Kawaja;
iv. Chasnoff, D. & H. Cohen. (1996). It’s elementary. San Francisco: Women’s Educational Media; Black, S. (2001).
v. Life and Debt. Tough Gong Pictures. http://www.lifeanddebt.org/.
b. With your group you should read about the 5 films and make your top 3 choices to be emailed to me by September 8. I will assign groups their films based on a first-come-first-served basis.
4. Make sure you are checking your BISHOP’S EMAIL EVERY WEEK a couple days before each class as I will be sending out certain readings online (to control the cost of the reading package).
5. You should also familiarize yourself with the class blog where I’ve posted this same information: http://edu305b.blogspot.com/
See you Tuesday September 9 (I will be back on campus September 9).
Dr. Lisa Taylor